Roque de Los Muchachos
The Roque de los Muchachos is the highest point of the island of La Palma and the second in the Canary Islands. From several viewpoints we can contemplate the Caldera de Taburiente.
THE MIRADOR DEL ROQUE DE LOS MUCHACHOS IS AT THE TOP OF THE ISLAND OF LA PALMA, ONE OF THE PLACES IN THE WORLD WITH THE BEST SKY FOR ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATION. AT YOUR FEET THERE IS AN AWESOME VIEW OF A GIANT VOLCANIC BOILER OF 1,500 METERS DEPTH COVERED BY TREES, WITH VOLCANIC ROCKS OF CAPRICHOUS FORMS AND DECLARED NATIONAL PARK.
It houses the Astrophysical Observatory of Roque de Los Muchachos (ORM), one of the most complete complexes of telescopes in the world. Thanks to its dark and clear skies for most of the year, La Palma has become one of the most privileged enclaves on the planet for astronomical observation.
GR 131 PUERTO DE TAZACORTE – ROQUE DE LOS MUCHACHOS
- DISTANCE: 23.6 kms.
- ASCENDING DECN: 2600 mt.
- ACCUMULATED DESCENDING SLOPE: 180 mt.
- ESTIMATED TIME OF IDA: 10:45 hrs.
- ESTIMATED RETURN TIME: 09:30 hrs.
- DIFFICULTY: The enormous unevenness, the long journey, the heat and the dehydration due to lack of water and, in winter, the low temperatures.
- PROTECTED NATURAL SPACES: Protected Landscape of Barranco de Las Angustias. National Park of La Caldera de Taburiente.
- RECOMMENDED TIME: Any time. Avoid hot days. Attention to snow in winter.
- TRANSPORTATION TO THE TRAIL: It is necessary to have a support vehicle or hire the services of a taxi.
BASIC RECOMMENDATIONS: Take into account the usual and common precautions of any hiking activity. At the risk of appearing obvious, the following are indicated:
– Consult weather reports before starting the march.
– Do not walk alone.
– Leave a record of someone of the route that will be made, as well as the time of return.
– Take a small individual backpack with some warm clothes, a rain jacket, food and plenty of water.
– Do not forget such simple elements as: hat, sunscreen and sunglasses. – Carrying a mobile phone with a charged battery, a map and, if possible, a compass. They are never used, but when they are needed they have to be there.
– Equip yourself with specific equipment, especially on the feet: trekking boots or similar (avoid sneakers or tennis shoes) are essential.
The stage has to be prepared knowing that it supposes a great physical effort. Bring plenty of water, reserve food and clothing in line with the time of year. Early morning as much as possible in summer. Do not leave the path in the high zone.
Need a cab now?
Habitual preferred destinations
Laguna de Barlovento
One of our regular taxi journeys north of La Palma is from San Andres y Sauces to Barlovento, with the largest dam of La Palma.
The self-guided trail Cubo de La Galga is especially attractive if you want to know the laurisilva in all its glory.