Marcos y Cordero Path
Path par excellence to meet La Palma. Following the water channel and through several tunnels of incredible beauty. Is perhaps the most visited trail La Palma.
PR LP 06. LOS SAUCES – LOS TILOS. VISITOR CENTER OF BIOSPHERE RESERVE
Departure from the visitor center to the house Los Tilos del Monte. Transport time 1 hour. During the journey we can observe many botanical between 600 and 1000 meters concerning the laurisilva. Then the landscape is modified watching the famous Canary Island pine. After completing this journey with the taxi service, begins the path that allows tourists to visit those of Marcos and lambs. Access to them has 13 tunnels, all of them listed. It is therefore necessary to use flashlight as some tunnels have no internal illumination. Then go down the path by visiting the viewpoint called “Espigón crossed”. Finally, we return to the starting point.
- DISTANCE: 12.5 km.
- DIFFICULTY: Medium. The length of the trail is an element to consider. The stretch of canal between La Casa Del Monte and the Marcos springs has sometimes exposed sections requiring attention, though there are railings on the most dangerous places. Over the tunnels requires a torch, without light crossing them is quite complicated, but possible. There is a section of trail that runs along the bottom of the ravine and requires making some simple destrepes that require a minimum of agility.
- ACCUMULATED CLIMB UP: 1200 mt.
- DESNIVEL DESCENDETE CUMULATIVE: 970 mt.
- IDA ESTIMATED TIME: 2:00 hrs.
- ESTIMATED TIME OF RETURN: 2:00 hrs.
- PROTECTED AREAS: Natural Park of Las Nieves.
- RECOMMENDED TIME: Any time of year, absolutely avoid travel with rains (when in doubt, inquire at the Visitor Center).
- GETTING TO THE TRAIL: By road, no public transport.
- BASIC RECOMMENDATIONS: Observe the usual precautions common to hiking activity. At the risk of sounding obvious, the following are noted:
- Check weather forecasts before setting off.
- Not walk alone.
- Someone to record the route to be done, as well as the return time.
- Carry a small rucksack with warm clothing, waterproofs, food and plenty of water.
- Not forget such simple items as: hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Carry a mobile phone with a charged battery, a map and, if possible, a compass. They are never used, but when needed they have to be there.
- Equipped with specific material, especially in the feet, hiking boots or similar (to avoid sneakers or tennis) are fundamental.
- OBSERVATIONS: This route lends itself to different routes. The most common of all usually approach the Casa del Monte (track 14 kms) hiring the services of a 4 × 4 taxi and go down to the Visitor Center. Another very popular tour of the Visitor Center and reaches nascent, then return along the same path or exits to the Casa del Monte. Finally, there are those who carried out the trail in its entirety, either out of Los Sauces, either the Visitor Center. A query profile and schedules allow each hiker considers the option that suits you best. A torch (essential) and a waterproof garment to cross the tunnels.